Built in 1950 as a life saving lightship to stand guard three miles off the Golden Gate Bridge, NANTUCKET, originally named SAN FRANCISCO, is currently at Newport Shipyard 'resting' for the winter after a busy season of charter. After making her way to New England via the Panama Canal in 1971, she served as a lightship in Maine for four years and finally came to Nantucket Island to serve her final U.S. Coast Guard duties as lightship from 1975-1983. She was purchased (on eBay) by Bill and Kristen Golden in 2000 and is one of only 12 lightships left in the United States. The Golden's have done a fabulous job refitting the 128-foot steel boat by outfitting her with modern (and beautiful) amenities and making her available for one-week charters throughout New England and dockside special events like wedding rehearsals, corporate parties and more!
Newport Shipyard is delighted to have NANTUCKET here for a few months and if you're in the neighborhood, come check her out -- she's docked in front of Belle's Cafe for optimal viewing! She's also available this winter for dockside parties. For more information, visit www.nantucketlightship.com